Guisborough Town



Albion Sports

Wed 29 Aug 2018 | FA Cup | Home


King George V Stadium




Jamie Cann



Guisborough Town’s attacking midfielder/wingman Joe Ferguson grabbed a great hat-trick to book his side’s place in the next round of the FA Cup.

It took just four minutes for the Priorymen to get their noses in front. Mark Robinson – late goal hero of the 2-2 draw against Albion on Saturday – found winger Steve Roberts with a short free kick and Roberts in turn passed to Joe Ferguson who shot home from six yards out.

Ferguson almost put Guisborough 2-0 up in the 21st minute but his superb shot was tipped over the bar by Albion ‘keeper George Clarke.

Albion came more into the game as the first half progressed but they didn’t really carry much of a threat up front and the half-time whistle sounded with the score still 1-0 to Guisborough.

Albion came out in more determined mood after the break and for a period pegged Guisborough back in their own half but it was Roberts who almost put Guisborough 2-0 up when he got clear but saw his goal-bound shot deflected clear by Clark.

The Priorymen continued to dictate matters and doubled their lead in the 68th minute when Ferguson bagged his second goal with a beautiful shot from 15 yards which sailed into the far corner of the net.

And just a minute later Town went 3-0 up when second-half substitute Ash Lavan took advantage of a terrible mix-up between Albion ‘keeper Clarke and one of his defenders and the Town man shot home into the empty net from the edge of the penalty area.

But less than a minute after that Lavan’s delight at scoring turned to despair when he was sent off following a tackle in midfield. It looked a harsh decision with many of the KGV faithful in a good crowd of 213 feeling a yellow card would have sufficed.

Despite being down to 10 men Guisborough continued to dominate and looked the more likely to add to their lead.

And they did just that a minute into time added on when livewire Guisborough substitute Brandon ‘Donny’ Holdsworth went on a great run which was only halted when he burst into the Albion penalty area.

The referee had no hesitation in blowing for a Guisborough penalty, and Ferguson stepped up to fire a superb unstoppable spot kick into the corner of the net to wrap up a fine 4-0 victory.

Afterwards Fergie said: “With a chance of getting my hat-trick there was only one person who was going to take that penalty!”

Guisborough have now gone six games unbeaten after their unlucky two defeats in the opening games of the season.

And Guisborough Manager Gary Forster was justifiably delighted with the latest result and performance against Albion, commenting: “I’m over the moon with the lads – we came out on to the field with a plan and they managed it superbly.

“We knew Albion carried a threat after the first game, but we dealt with that really well. Fergie took his hat-trick superbly and I felt there were good performances throughout the team. But for me our man of the match was left back Dylan McAvoy who had a terrific game,” added Gary.

In the clubhouse after the game Guisborough Town Chairman Don Cowan presented Town stalwart Lee Bythway with a bottle of sparkling wine to mark the defender’s recent 300th appearance for the Priorymen.

Don commented: “Lee has been very loyal to this club over many seasons and we are delighted to have him here.”

Don also paid tribute to Albion Sports and their officials and supporters who had been very hospitable in the first game at Farsley Celtic’s ground and he wished them well for the future.


Back to Fixtures