Albion Sports



Guisborough Town

Sat 25 Aug 2018 | FA Cup | Away


Throstle Nest




Callum Gough



Robbo in sheer delight at keeping his side’s FA Cup dreams alive!

Guisborough born and bred Mark Robinson popped up to score a precious late goal to keep his home town’s FA Cup hopes alive at Bradford club Albion Sports.

Guisborough’s Mark Robinson (No 10) steady himself as a cross comes over…

With time ebbing away and Guisborough trailing 2-1 midfielder Mark rose to head home in the 87th minute to level the tie and take it to a replay at the KGV Stadium.

The Albion net bulges as ‘Robbo’ turns away...

The dramatic late goal sparked euphoric scenes of celebration among both the Town players on the field and their coach load of loyal officials and supporters who had travelled south to watch the game.

Goal hero Mark Robinson is mobbed by delighted teammates after his dramatic late leveller to take an eventful Emirates FA Cup tie to a replay

North East Counties League side Albion Sports, who play their home games at Farsley Celtic’s ground in Leeds, had shocked the Priorymen by taking the lead after only three minutes through centre-forward Paul Beesley.

Guisborough striker Nathan Steel rises majestically to head a free kick from the right goalwards…

But Guisborough recovered well and in the 36th minute big striker Nathan Steel continued his recent rich vein of scoring by rising to beautifully head home a free kick from the right.

…and it’s there despite the despairing dive of Albion ‘keeper George Clark

However, no sooner had the Priorymen re-taken the field after the interval when Albion again took the lead in the 48th minute when Jamal Stewart scored to make it 2-1 to the home side.

The balance of the game tilted Guisborough’s way when Albion goalkeeper George Clark was sent off for handling outside the penalty area, much to the indignation of Albion who were furious with the decision.

Key moment in the game as Albion ‘keeper George Clark gets a red card after being adjudged to have handled the  ball outside of the penalty area

And the Priorymen made the extra man count as they surged forward with Robinson’s late goal three minutes from time rescuing a draw and sending the tie to a replay back at the KGV.

Mark Robinson steadies himself to power a bullet-like header goalwards

Guisborough Manager Gary Forster was obviously relieved his side salvaged a draw in the end. After the game he commented: “We started slowly and allowed them to take an early lead, which was disappointing, but after that we slowly got back into it and after we equalised through Steely in the 36th minute.

“We didn’t want half-time to come at that point as we were on top but once again after the break we started very poorly and didn’t shut down the areas correctly and allowed them to take the lead once again.


“We need to be better at closing down areas and I’ve stressed that to the players but then to be fair we recovered well and had five or six really good chances before their keeper was sent off towards the end and we grabbed an equaliser we deserved.

“Although we got the draw in the end we are actually disappointed not to have come away with a win.”

Gary continued: “They were very quick and had real pace down the flanks which posed a threat that we had to be aware of and deal with but overall our energy levels didn’t seem as high as normal and we needed to be better at managing the game and that’s something we’ve spoken about in the dressing room.”

Looking ahead to Wednesday’s replay, Gary added: “We’d like to think we will fancy our chances back at our place after doing the hard work and earning a replay at their ground, but they do carry a threat with their pace and that is something we need to be aware of and deal with.”

MATCH PHOTO'S | A full portfolio of photo's from the game, taken by Dan Clark, can be found via the following link: Albion Sports 2 Guisborough Town 2


Back to Fixtures