Newton Aycliffe



Guisborough Town

Tue 14 Aug 2018 | FA Cup | Away


Newton Aycliffe Stadium




Samuel Ross



Guisborough Town stormed through to the first Preliminary Round of the FA Cup when they convincingly beat Newton Aycliffe in their Extra Preliminary Round replay on Tuesday night.

Two goals in the last three minutes - one a stunning pile-driver of a free kick by Stevie Roberts - ensured Guisborough will play Bradford side Albion Sports at the Farsley Celtic ground the play at on Saturday, 25 August.

After the dramatic heroics of goalkeeper Jordan Nixon in the first match between these two sides at the KGV on Saturday, which attracted national media coverage, the replay proved to be a pretty evenly-matched affair until the second half when Guisborough totally dominated their opponents.

It was a typically highly competitive cup game with no quarter being given by either side and after an entertaining, end-to-end first half there was still very little daylight between the two teams.

But in the second half Guisborough firmly stamped their authority on the game and played some sparkling attacking football right from the back, through midfield and up front.

The only surprise was that it took until the 87th minute for Guisborough to get their noses in front with a stunning free kick from Steve Roberts.

From fully 30 yards out Roberts smashed the ball perfectly just inside the near post and into the corner of the netting. It was a great strike and one which should do the young winger’s confidence the world of good.

Then two minutes later on 89 minutes Guisborough made certain of their progression into the next round of this famous competition when substitute Nathan Steel surged through the Aycliffe defence and gleefully smashed the ball home.

Just a minute later this exciting and hard-fought cup tie had another twist when former Guisborough striker Matty Pennal was sent off for an over-robust tackle on Guisborough full back Dylan McAvoy.

Literally every single Guisborough player put in an excellent performance of which they could be proud - to the delight of a healthy and vociferous Guisborough following in a good crowd of 201.

After the game, a delighted Guisborough Manager Gary Forster commented: “I’m over the moon with the performance tonight. It was much more like the effort and application that I want from the lads.

“In the first half we were a bit tentative at times but we weathered the pressure that Aycliffe put on us and composed ourselves well and in the second half we just went to another level. In the end it was a worthy win for us,” added Gary.

MATCH PHOTOS | A full album of photo's from the match can be found via the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154166104@N05/albums/72157694427269930


Back to Fixtures