Bishop Auckland



Guisborough Town

Wed 22 Aug 2018 | Northern League Division One | Away


Heritage Park




Mark Ryan



Guisborough Town missed out on a glorious opportunity to clinch their second away win on the trot when they had to settle for a draw against a Bishop Auckland side reduced to nine men.

It was one of those incident-packed games where if you blinked you could miss a goal, a yellow card or even a red card or two!

An early sign of the drama to come came after only 25 seconds when Guisborough stormed into the lead through a superbly-crafted goal from the in-form Nathan Steel.

Nathan Steel latches onto Nixon's kick out and prepares to shoot

The big striker pounced on a long kick-out from goalkeeper Jordan Nixon and he cleverly rounded a Bishops defender with ease and planted the ball firmly into the far left corner of the net to give Guisborough the perfect start.

Former Guisborough goalie is unable to keep out Steels effort

Guisborough’s lead was short-lived, however, because within the next 12 minutes the Bishops roared back into a 2-1 lead with two virtually unstoppable long range volleys.

First Bishops’ captain Callum Patton hit a screamer from fully 35 yards out which gave Guisborough goalkeeper Jordan Nixon no chance and it was all square at 1-1 after just nine minutes.

Then three minutes later Guisborough found themselves 2-1 down when Shaun Rider latched on a hopeful through-ball and smashed home from 18 yards to leave Guisborough and their fans and officials shell-shocked after that great start.

But Guisborough hauled themselves back level at 2-2 in the 21st minute when Nathan Steel scored his second goal from the penalty spot when Brad Mills was brought down as he skipped past defenders and into the box where he was tripped.

Nathan Steel continues his perfect run from the penalty spot to make it 2-2.

Bishops’ Ryder was given a yellow card for protesting too much about the penalty award and on the half-hour mark the Bishops goal hero turned villain when he was sent off for stupidly kicking out while a Guisborough defender was lying on the ground.


Defender Bythway made 10-man Bishops pay in the 64th minute when Mills hit a peach of a free kick into the penalty area and Lee Bythway swept the ball home to put his side 3-2 up on his 300th appearance for Guisborough.

Soon after Bishops were reduced to nine men when Lewis Gibbons was sent off after appearing to say something out of turn to the referee.

The outnumbered Bishops, to their credit, refused to thrown the towel in and Guisborough got a warning in the 68th minute when Bishops had the ball in the net during a sustained attack but it was disallowed for offside.

But just four minutes later following a Hoganson free kick on the right Patton rifled the ball home in a crowded goalmouth for his second goal of the night to make it 3-3.

In one of the last attacks of the game Guisborough should have won it but Bythway glanced a header wide when well placed. It would have rounded his milestone appearance off perfectly but it wasn’t to be for the whole-hearted Guisborough long-server.

Lee Bythway heads wide

After the game a philosophical Guisborough Manager Gary Forster said: “If we had been offered a draw against Bishops before the game we would have taken it!

“Having said that to concede an equaliser when we were 3-2 up against nine men was disappointing.

“But the fact that we played so well at times and they lost their discipline and ended up with nine men shows how much we were in the ascendancy over the course of the game,” added Gary.

MATCH PHOTO's | A full portfolio of match photos can be found via the following link: Bishop Auckland 3 Guisborough Town 3 - 22/8/18


Back to Fixtures