Guisborough Town

Sat 4 Aug 2018 | Northern League Division One | Away


Belle View Stadium



Guisborough Town Manager Gary Forster described his team’s opening narrow opening 3-2 league defeat at Consett as “tough to take” as he rued his side’s missed chances once again.

After looking set for a superb win at one of the league’s expected title contenders, the Priorymen were gutted as the ‘Steelmen’ of Consett scored a last-ditch winner.

Guisborough Manager Gary Forster was bitterly disapointed with the 3-2 defeat

A bitterly disappointed Gary commented: “Defeat was very tough to take. I felt we had enough chances to put the game to bed.

“Unfortunately it was a similar game to many last season when we failed to turn our chances into goals.

“I thought overall a draw would have been a fair result, so to lose it with the last touch of the game felt very harsh on the lads who put in a good team performance,” Gary lamented.

He added: “Thankfully games will be coming thick and fast in the next few weeks and hopefully we can move on quickly from the disappointment of this defeat.

“We host Shildon at the KGV on Wednesday and they are regarded as one of the title favourites.

“We beat them at home last season and then gave them a very good game in the FA Cup. So I’m hoping that another good team performance similar to what we produced at Consett will bring us our first points of the season.”

Unfortunately Gary will be unable to field two first team regulars - striker Mason McNeill who will be away on holiday and goalkeeper Jordan Nixon who is still recovering from the shoulder injury sustained at the end of last season.

Mason McNeill is unavailable for Guisborough's next few games due to holiday

On the plus side, however, versatile defender/midfielder Brian Close will be available again after suspension for a red card at the end of last season.


Against Consett, it was the unlucky 13th minute for Guisborough as Consett took the lead through Michael MacKay who caught the Town defence as he stole in from the left and rifled a low shot into the far corner.

But Guisborough roared back to take a 2-1 lead by half-time. First great link-up play between Mason McNeill, John Seaton and Lewis Goldsack in the 35th minute ended with the latter curling a 20-yard shot into the far corner to make it 1-1.

And the Priorymen stormed into the lead just two minutes later when left back Joe Ferguson dispossessed Consett full back Nick Green and surged forward to unleash a shot from 20 yards which deceived the Consett ‘keeper and crept just inside his near post for a 2-1 interval lead.

Guisborough's goalscorers Louis Goldsack and Joe Ferguson celebrate together after Goldsack's opener

An impressive Guisborough side held on to their one-goal advantage until the 66th minute when Town failed to clear a corner and the ball fell rather fortuitously to Matty Slocombe who stabbed home at the near corner for 2-2.

With the match evenly balanced it looked like the Priorymen were going to take a well-earned point back to the KGV but there was heartbreak in the third minute of time added on when in a last-ditch attack Consett substitute Darren Holden dinked a cross into the goalmouth and home skipper Danny Craggs steered a header into the Guisborough net.

It was so tough on Guisborough but once again if they had taken their chances earlier on in the game the last-gasp Craggs goal would have been only a consolation for Consett.

“All in all I think a draw would have been a fair result and we’re desperately disappointed to come away with nothing and the lads were devastated in the dressing room afterwards to lose it so late on,” added Gary Forster.

“The players do feel they have been robbed a little bit but if you don’t take your chances football does that to you,” added Gary.

A full portfolio of photos from the game can be found via the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154166104@N05/albums/72157696677948172


Back to Fixtures