Bishop Auckland



Guisborough Town

Wed 24 Jan 2018 | Brooks Mileson Memorial Northern League Cup | Away


Heritage Park




Samuel Ross



After the final whistle of a highly frustrating game for Guisborough, Manager Gary Forster could barely conceal his acute sense of disappointment – and injustice.

He commented: “I was very frustrated by the quality of the officials at the Bishops cup tie and from talking to several home officials that they felt the same.

“I am not sure where the referee got the long period of added time from and with us battling against the gale force wind the additional game play proved to be decisive.

“That said, we had chances to kill the game off including three very good opportunities at 1-2 up to kill the game off – as I have said several times recently, we have just got to be more ruthless in both boxes.

“On a positive note, I was over the moon to see Brad Mills back in action after his long lay-off. He got a good hour’s play into him and I am sure he will be pushing for a full 90 in the very near future,” added Gary.

Against Bishops, the Priorymen took the lead in the 27th minute through top scorer Steve Roberts, rapidly getting back to his best despite his recent appendix operation shortly before Christmas.

Guisborough were looking very solid and kept their lead until the hour mark when Bishops equalised through Michael Hoganson.

But Guisborough’s highly talented winger Louis Goldsack restored Guisborough’s lead in the 71st minute to make it 2-1 to the Priorymen.

Guisborough held on to their lead until the 88th minute when a low Bishops’ cross was deflected into the net to make it 2-2.

And with time fast running out, Bishops scored a dramatic winner in the sixth minute of time added on when their prolific scorer down the years, Andy Johnson, chased a ball over the top of the Guisborough defence to force the ball home, much to the dismay of the Priorymen and their travelling fans and officials in a crowd of nearly 200.


Back to Fixtures