Guisborough Town



West Auckland Town

Wed 17 Jan 2018 | Northern League Division 1 | Home


KGV Stadium




Adam Williamson



Another priceless point for Priorymen – but manager Gary rues debatable decisions which cost team dearly.

Guisborough Town gained another valuable point to inch themselves further away from the relegations zone – but manager Gary Forster felt his side should have had all three points following a 1-1 draw with West Auckland Town at the KGV.

A well-earned draw against West Auckland demonstrated just how massively far Guisborough have come from the start of the season when West annihilated the Priorymen 9-0 at home in just the second match of the new campaign.

But Guisborough Manager Gary Forster, while pleased to a point with the draw, was very unhappy about two key refereeing decisions which he believes cost his side the victory they would have richly deserved.

After the game Gary commented: “I thought we controlled most of the game but to be fair West did have good spells of their own. I think if we had been a little bit more clinical we would have won comfortably.

“I still feel we were more than a little unlucky to concede their equalising goal in the last few minutes because I honestly feel the referee has made a massive mistake in giving the free kick which led to the West equaliser.

“And then to rub salt into the wounds I believe we should have had a stonewall penalty at the end of the game which could have given us all three points. Still another point in the bag is not to be sniffed at,” added Gary ruefully.

After a first-half goalless stalemate, Guisborough took the lead in the 77th minute when attack-minded midfielder Lewis Maloney found the net with a long-range effort into the bottom corner.

But with just three minutes remaining, West won a hotly-disputed free kick out on the right and the ball somehow got through a melee of players to the back post where Ross Colquhoun managed to scramble the ball home.


Undeterred, gallant Guisborough went all out in search of a winner and four minutes into time added on they had a big shout for a penalty but the referee waved the Priorymen’s appeals away and the full-time whistle went shortly after with the game all square at 1-1.


Back to Fixtures